Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Talking From "Sex, Death, and Subliminal Advertising"



My marketing teacher showed the video of Sex, Death, and Subliminal Advertising to us in class. The video itself is like a magic, taking us to a magical world of advertising by uncovering so much hidden information within ads around us. But when I first saw it, I doubt these subliminal messages work on people. I mean, if I can't even recognize the hidden information, how can I be affected by them? 

But today I read a chapter about subliminal advertising in a book. It says that many research help to answer a question -  "Can we perceive something that we are not aware of consciously, and can it affect us?" This question may help advertisers decide the effectiveness of subliminal appeals. Actually a popular argument about subliminal message is that the audience is affected by them unconsciously without noticing them consciously.  

I agree with the statement that different persons have different thresholds of perception. Also I think subliminal advertising would work on those who could perceive it and even with a stronger effect on them than regular advertising. But the answer of how many people could perceive it is a X. That's why I think using subliminal advertising is a risk to some extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment